3/16/12

Rainbow Asian Slaw


 
I like colorful food.

No, I don't mean Skittles, Starburst and Fruit Loops.

Okay, I do, but mostly I mean that I like some color in my meals. The fruits and veggie kind of color. In fact, the more colors there are in a dish, the more excited I am to eat it. 

Truth: sometimes I add tomatoes or red bell peppers to my salads or pasta just because they are red.

You'd think the color alone, then, would be enough to make my happy about this Asian slaw. And it is. What pushes it from like to love, though, is the taste. It's goooood. Different and good. The dressing is light enough to let you taste the veggies in the slaw, but strong enough to add its own sesame and ginger flavor. It isn't too harsh or too sweet, and has just enough of each ingredient that they blend perfectly. It's simple to make; half of the prep work is opening a bag of broccoli slaw and matchstick carrots. That kind of prep work I can handle. It's great as a side dish but it also makes a good light lunch. Or second or third lunch, as the case has been with me lately. 

It's one of those all-around winner recipes that you keep in your recipe box and make again and again. 

Every time you want to taste the rainbow.



Rainbow Asian Slaw

Ingredients

For the dressing:

  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar (not the seasoned kind or it will be too salty. Can substitute regular white vinegar but the dressing will have more of a harsh flavor)
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
For the slaw:
  • 4 cups prepared broccoli slaw (or shredded cabbage)
  • 2 cups prepared shredded carrots (or grated in food processor)
  • 1 red pepper, thinly sliced into bite size pieces
  • 1 cup pre-cooked, shelled edamame (available fresh or frozen)
  • 2 medium scallions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

  1. Make the dressing by combining all ingredients in medium bowl. Stir with a whisk until peanut butter is dissolved. Set aside.
  2. Combine all of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss well. Let sit at least 10 minutes so vegetables have a chance to soak up the dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve cold.
Prep Time: 10 min Serves: 6 side dish servings

Recipe Source: adapted slightly from http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/03/asian-slaw-with-ginger-peanut-dressing.html


38 Click For Comments:

Very pretty looking slaw! I love all the colors.

Great recipe! Thank you for sharing!

Made this for dinner tonight, so tasty!!

This is so pretty! The perfect spring dish :)

What a gorgeous salad. It immediately drew my eye. I'm relatively new to your blog and always enjoy the time I spend here. Recipes like this one keep me coming back. I never seem to leave here empty handed. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

This slaw looks soooooo good! I love the bright colors and the peanut sauce sounds like it might also work for a stir fry too. Love it!

What a beautiful combo of colors, flavors, and textures!  I love all sorts of cold veggie salads with asian flavors, so I know I won't be able to get enough of this one!  

I love all the colors!!!!!

Yum! This looks and sounds delicious. Gorgeous photos, as always!!

Love your blog! This looks perfect! 

I ran out and got the ingredients for this right away, made it, enjoyed a bowl, very very very good!  Then one of my teenagers accidentally knocked it out of the fridge and all over the floor.  I only got 1 bowl of it.  Soooo sad!  Will make again very soon though!

That is so sad! I'm glad you enjoyed at least one bowl of it. :)

Nicole this is gorgeous! Beautiful photos!!! Looks amazing and healthy (that's key)

Wonderful mix! I love that this is healthy too!

What a fun and colorful slaw! Love the flavorful yet basic ingredients you added, too. This would be perfect as a side dish or even just topped with grilled meat or seafood.

So pretty, I just love the colors!!  

Just made this today and had to have a little taste for lunch. It was great! This dressing will definitely be used on other salads!

I love this for so many reasons...especially the sriracha!

this was amazing!! the sweet/hot/sour blend was perfect. THANK YOU!

Looks amazing, and easy to make.  Going to make this today, and for my friends birthday lunch next week.  What would you recomend this accompany at a birthday luncheon?

It can go with just about anything, not just other Thai or Chinese flavors. A fancy chicken salad on croissants or any type of finger sandwich would probably work.

I made this last night and loved it!! Thanks for sharing:)

WOW this looks absolutely amazing, I reeeeaaaaallly wanna try this one =)

I made this tonight for dinner.  I added some poached chicken breast so that I had some protein and ate it as a meal.  It was excellent. 
I would, however, recommend adding some citrus--lime juice would be nice.  I found the sauce a dressing a little sweet (probably could do with a little less honey), and the acidity would cut that some. 

How funny, the sweetness and non-harshness of the dressing was part of the reason I really liked it. :) Those are great suggestions that might help other people tweak it to the way they like, though, so thank you for sharing them. 

Wowzer! This is soooo yummy - I may even get my carnivorous hubby to have a dish ;0)
What would happen if I tried using EVOO instead of vegetable oil? I was tempted to give it a shot, but I usually try to make a recipe as directed before I make adjustments. This was so good, I'd hate to screw it up :0)

this was absolutely delicious! I will definitely add it to my "go-to" recipes. Thank you!

Wonderful stuff!  Made it for Father's Day.  It was perfect with BBQ.  

This is really tasty. Do you have nutritional info on it?

Great recipe!  I made it as a salad to keep on hand for lunch.  Nice photos, as well. 

This is an amazing dish - thank you for sharing! I have made it for mother's day, a reunion lunch, book club, and music in the park -- not to mention just for dinner on a hot night. I add some chicken and make it a full meal with some sliced bread on the side. So delicious!

This looks absolutely amazing & colorful dish. I will make it as a salad for my dinner. Thank you for sharing this with us. :)

What a delicious sounding slaw! I love the addition of the sriracha! :)

I just made this tonight for my family to go along with a salmon recipe I wanted to try and it was fabulous! It was so easy to make and so healthy. I loved all of the colors too. I definitely want to try using edamame more now. The only changes I made were adding a little more hot sauce and a few squirts of lime juice. It was hard not to just drink the dressing. This slaw was so flavorful yet clean tasting. I'm looking forward to using the leftovers in different ways. This will be a great dish to take to parties. Thank you!

this receipe looks really great and it is quiet healthy..i would give this a try...

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover