4/20/11

Stuffed Bell Peppers


With all the decadent things I've been posting lately, you might start to think that we eat dessert all the time at our house. While that might not meet with any complaints from my husband, that's hardly the case. I'd say most of the time we try to be fairly healthy. My mom is the same way, so she and I love sharing recipes back and forth when we find good ones. When she was here visiting she told me we had to make these stuffed bell peppers that she loves. She said, with an emphatic nod, that they were from Dr. Oz. Do you know who Dr. Oz is? I had no idea. I just smiled and said, "Oh!" and then jumped on my computer as soon as possible to google him. It's embarrassing when your mom is more in the know about things than you are, isn't it? Apparently Dr. Oz is a medical doctor who has a TV show. (Also, judging by the picture on Wikipedia, I wonder if female viewers watch his show for more than just medical advice.)


Anyway, we made the bell peppers for dinner while my parents were here and they were delicious! Also easy! Also healthy! It was a good meal trifecta. The filling is flavorful and tastes great with the bell pepper shell. My mom cuts her bell peppers sideways so there is a larger filling-to-pepper ratio, but either way was delicious. The chili powder and cumin give the meal a great Southwestern flavor that's wonderful with a little avocado and sour cream on top. It's easily modified to include ingredients that you might want to add, like replacing the rice with brown rice or adding cilantro, and could be made vegetarian by substituting black beans for the ground turkey. It's a dinner that you can eat and feel good about, which helps makes up for the cheesecake stuffed chocolate chip cookie bars my mom also showed me how to make while she was here. 

Somewhat.


Stuffed Bell Peppers
HeatOvenTo350 Published 04/20/2011
Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients

  • 3 large red bell peppers
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 16 oz lean ground turkey
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder (decrease by half if you don't like spicy food)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 16 oz jar salsa (your favorite flavor)
  • 1 cup cooked rice
  • 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • sour cream
  • avocado

Instructions

  1. Heat oven to 350. Cut bell peppers in half and remove seeds.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown turkey with onions. Add minced garlic, chili powder and cumin and stir and cook 1 minute. Stir in salsa and rice.
  3. Place cut bell peppers on a cookie sheet and divide turkey mixture evenly among them. Top with cheddar cheese and bake for 7-10 minutes.
  4. Serve with sour cream, avocado and spinach on top.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook time: 15 min
Recipe Source: Dr. Oz

11 Click For Comments:

I made these tonight, but chose to use poblano peppers instead. They were terrific! I just cut a slit in the chile, scooped out the seeds, and boiled the chile for a few minutes to soften them up. They were very similar to chile rellanos, but without being fried.

Awesome I made these tonight for dinner. Thank u. The avocado is a nice touch

how long do you cook them for? Do cook peppers at all before?

Part of the directions are missing!

"Bake for 7"......? Lol I really want to try these, they sound amazing!

HI Nicole I am a new follower. and going to be trying out this awesome recipe tonight. I am also a fellow blogger. come check me out :) I will be sharing this recipe on my blog with a link over to your blog ")
www.thenavymommyproject.blogspot.com
Tara

I love to hear from fellow bloggers. You've got some delicious looking recipes on your site. So glad to find you.

Hi Nicole.
What kind of rice did you use? White, brown?

I've used both and I notice no real difference in the flavor, so use whatever you prefer.

This recipe is something I am definitely going to try.

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover